CARACAS, Venezuela– Authorities in Venezuela stated Wednesday that they’re submitting criminal charges versus a prison warden and five guards following a riot that left 47 inmates dead and dozens more injured.
Jail guards could have utilized less deadly force to stop the riot, such as firing tear gas and alerting shots, Attorney General Tarek William Saab said in a nationwide broadcast. He said 4 prisoners implicated of leading the uprising are also being called to account.
” Nobody will be enabled to evade their unfortunate responsibility,” Saab stated. “This is reprehensible.”
The riot erupted May 1 at the Llanos Penitentiary Center in the main Venezuela state of Portuguesa when inmates protested, requiring that their loved ones be enabled to provide them food throughout sees, officials have said.
In addition to those eliminated, another 69 individuals were hurt in the violent clash, Saab said.
The five guards are implicated of murder and abuse of power, while district attorneys say the 4 inmates believed of instigating the riot are implicated of homicide and arms trafficking.
The warden is implicated of being an accomplice to letting illegal weapons inside the prison, Saab said. Officials have previously stated that the warden was amongst the injured, sustaining a knife injury.
A once-wealthy oil country, Venezuela is gripped by a deepening political and recession that has caused an approximated 5 million residents running away in recent years as civil services crumble.
Venezuela has approximately 30 prisons and 500 prisons that can hold an approximated 110,000 prisoners. Human rights supporters state the prisons are violent and overcrowded, with gangs that traffic weapons and drugs in control.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without authorization.
Subscribe to Reel News
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe